Kitchen Shape and Cabinet Placement Are Important For A Smooth Functioning Kitchen
Although kitchens have evolved over the years, there are still “tried and true” principles of kitchen design that have not really changed. Even with all the guidelines, it is important to make your personal statement in your kitchen. Bend the rules to create a kitchen with interesting eye appeal and don’t be afraid to be creative.
Kitchen Floor Plan Basics
There are really only 5 fundamental shapes of a kitchen.
- U-shaped. Cabinets and appliances are arranged along three walls. This works best with the sink in the center of the “U” and the frig at the end of a counter.
- L-Shape. Cabinets and appliances on two walls that meet the counter.
- CORRIDOR. Cabinets and appliances on two facing walls. It is helpful here to have the sink, the counter, and the stove on the same counter.
- OPEN-PLAN. The traditional kitchen area is enlarged to include the family room, a dining area, and other spaces for relaxing or entertaining.
- ONE-WALL. Also known as a gallery kitchen, all cabinets and appliances are along a single wall.
One of the principles of kitchen design is creating an efficient and comfortable pattern of movement. The “work triangle” as it is known, is the shortest distance walking distance between the three primary work points; the refrigerator, primary cooking surface, and primary food prep sink. We believe that if a kitchen does not function efficiently and effectively, it doesn’t matter how fabulous it is. The experts at Danner’s Cabinet Shop will be happy to work with you and make suggestions for your cabinetry that will give your kitchen its own personality.
Choosing a kitchen layout depends on the space available, efficiency and convenience desired. The work triangle determines the efficiency of the kitchen. This is the area defined by the locations of the refrigerator, the range or cook-top, and the sink. A compact triangle limits the distances between these key appliances. When choosing the right layout for your home, make sure to consider the work triangle.
Since 1968, Danner’s Cabinet Shop has been committed to the design and construction of only the very finest custom cabinetry. When it comes to details, we have no limitations! We will work directly with you to assure no detail is overlooked. We will guide you through each step of selecting the cabinetry that is right for your home to give it your own personality.